view of Łódź from the South

http://www.iub.edu/~lodzdsc/images/PL_39_596_884.jpg

Title

view of Łódź from the South

Description

This photo was taken in the southern part of the city. In the 1820s, at the site of the village Wólka, a new industrial settlement known as Łódka on the Jasień River (Łódka nad Jasieniem) was established. The photo offers us a view of the city as seen from the vicinity of Wróblewska and Wólczańska Streets looking in the direction of Polesie and Bałuty. The familiar church towers of the St. Stanisław Cathedral and St. Matthew's Evangelical Church are visible, and deep in the distance (on the left) one can espy the outline of the Pilhal knitwear factory in Karolew.

Creator

Włodzimierz Pfeiffer

Source

The State Archives in Łódź

Date

1938

Identifier

PL_39_596_884

Tag

rivers; churches; factories

Collection

Citation

Włodzimierz Pfeiffer, “view of Łódź from the South,” Jewish Life in Interwar Łódź , accessed May 25, 2024, https://jewish-lodz.iu.edu/items/show/1979.