Synagogoue at No. 56 (now No. 70) Zachodna Street

http://www.iub.edu/~lodzdsc/images/PL_39_607_A-38_131.jpg

Title

Synagogoue at No. 56 (now No. 70) Zachodna Street

Description

The Synagogue on Zachodna Street, which was given the name Wilker Shul, was the first Jewish sacral structure to be erected after the establishment of a "Jewish district." This synagogue, built between 1875 and 1878, housed the largest talmudic school in Łódź—it was an important center of rabbinical studies with an extensive collection of books in Hebrew. In November 1939, as other synagogues in the city were being reduced to ashes, the Nazis used Wilker Shul for shooting a propaganda film. The structure was burned down sometime in the latter half of 1940.

Source

The State Archives in Łódź

Date

1941

Identifier

PL_39_607_A-38_131

Tag

synagogues

Collection

Tags

Citation

“Synagogoue at No. 56 (now No. 70) Zachodna Street,” Jewish Life in Interwar Łódź , accessed May 30, 2024, https://jewish-lodz.iu.edu/items/show/2021.